BiographyI am a postdoctoral researcher of Physical Geography and my research interests are related to the ecosystem services across spatial scales. I use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) -based accessibility analysis to explore people’s ability to utilize different ecosystem services and to estimate the negative impacts which ecosystems can cause for people. My special interest is to introduce the accessibility analysis in the ecosystem service research. At my current project, I study the balance between supply and demand of ecosystem services at continental and global scales.
- Ecosystem services
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- GIS approaches for analyzing accessibility, supply and demand of ecosystem services
Global geographic accessibility to food resources: Exploring spatial mismatch between food production, consumption and transport system by using big and open source data
Despite of satisfactory level of global food production, shortage of food is still a huge problem in some of the less-developed countries. Future climate change, population growth and conflicts likely increase the problem, whereas developing farming practices and opportunities to boost fair markets may ease off the hunger problem. However, regional balance between production and consumption, as well as differences in transport system conditions among regions, have a key role in satisfying demand. Aim of the study is to explore spatial mismatch between proxies of food production and consumption in accurately localised data. Two year project is funded by Kone Foundation.
Contact persons: Ossi Kotavaara and Terhi Ala-Hulkko
Professional and community activities
- Secretary of the Geographical Society of Northern Finland directorate years 2014 – 2017
- Member of the Geographical Society of Northern Finland directorate 2018
- Researcher, Physical Geography Research Group (PGRG)
- Researcher, Regional Excellence (REx)
- Ala-Hulkko, Terhi (2020) Integrating accessibility analysis in ecosystem service and disservice mapping. - Nordia geographical publications 49:3. Oulu. Artikkeliväitöskirja. 61. [Original]
- Ala-Hulkko, Terhi; Kotavaara, Ossi; Alahuhta, Janne; Kesälä, Mikko; Hjort, Jan (2019) Accessibility analysis in evaluating exposure risk to an ecosystem disservice. - Applied geography 113, 102098 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Ala-Hulkko, Terhi; Kotavaara, Ossi; Alahuhta, Janne; Hjort, Jan (2019) Mapping supply and demand of a provisioning ecosystem service across Europe. - Ecological indicators 103, 520–529 . [Original]
- Ala-Hulkko, Terhi; Kotavaara, Ossi (2019) Saavutettavuusanalytiikka auttaa selvittämään ruuan kysynnän ja tarjonnan tasapainoa. - Positio (3), 23-24 . [Original]
- Alahuhta, Janne; Ala-Hulkko, Terhi; Tukiainen, Helena; Purola, Laura; Akujärvi, Anu; Lampinen, Raino; Hjort, Jan (2018) The role of geodiversity in providing ecosystem services at broad scales. - Ecological indicators 91, 47-56 . https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.03.068. [Original] [Self-archived]
- Tukiainen, Helena; Alahuhta, Janne; Field, Richard; Ala-Hulkko, Terhi; Lampinen, Raino; Hjort, Jan (2017) Spatial relationship between biodiversity and geodiversity across a gradient of land-use intensity in high-latitude landscapes. - Landscape Ecology 32 (5), 1049-1063 . [Original]
- Heino, Jani; Alahuhta, Janne; Ala-Hulkko, Terhi; Antikainen, Harri; Bini, Luis Mauricio; Bonada, Nuria; Datry, Thibault; Eros, Tibor; Hjort, Jan; Kotavaara, Ossi; Melo, Adriano; Soininen, Janne (2017) Integrating dispersal proxies in ecological and environmental research in the freshwater realm. - Environmental reviews 25 (3), 334-349 . [Original]
- Ala-Hulkko, Terhi; Kotavaara, Ossi; Alahuhta, Janne; Helle, Pekka; Hjort, Jan (2016) Introducing accessibility analysis in mapping cultural ecosystem services. - Ecological indicators 66 (July), 416-427 . [Original]
- Alahuhta, Janne; Järvinen, Terhi; Sormunen, Henna; Tukiainen, Helena; Varanka, Sanna; Hjort, Jan (2014) Searching for spatial patterns in the northern environments : modern physical geography at the University of Oulu. - Nordia geographical publications 42 (2), 15-26
Supervision of Master's thesis
Mikko Kesälä (2016). Statistic- and GIS-methods for producing knowledge of ecosystem disservices – tick distribution and nuisance in Finland. Unpublished Master thesis. University of Oulu, Geography Research Unit.
Laura Purola (2016). Geographical variation in biodiversity, geodiversity and ecosystem services in Finland. Unpublished Master thesis. University of Oulu, Geography Research Unit.
Anika Tiiro (2016). Landscape-scale environmental factors affecting the occurrence of game in Finland. Unpublished Master thesis. University of Oulu, Geography Research Unit.