My research area is Mathematical Analysis with emphasis in Fractal Geometry. I am currently focused on the theme Fractals and Randomness.
I obtained my M.Sc. form the University of Jyväskylä in 2002 and my PhD from the University of Helsinki in 2005. In the past, I have worked in the University of Jyväskylä as a Postgraduate and Postdoctoral researcher and in the University of Oulu as a Senior Research Fellow. Since 2021, I have served as an Associate Professor in the Research Unit of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Oulu. I have also visited various universities and research units across the world.
- Mathematical analysis
- Fractal Geometry
- Geometric Measure theory
- Random Geometry
- Fractals and Additive Combinatorics
- Geometric Properties of Fractal sets and Measures
Teaching and Supervision
Links to bachelor and master level courser can be found in Moodle. I am also active in the supervision of Bachelor and Master thesis. I am the director of the Doctoral Degree programme in Mathematical Sciences in the University of Oulu.
- Shmerkin, Pablo; Suomala, Ville (2020) Patterns in random fractals. - American journal of mathematics 142 (3), 683-749 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Feng, De-Jun; Järvenpää, Esa; Järvenpää, Maarit; Suomala, Ville (2018) Dimensions of random covering sets in Riemann manifolds. - Annals of probability 46 (3), 1542-1596 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Shmerkin, Pablo; Suomala, Ville (2018) Spatially Independent Martingales, Intersections, and Applications. - Memoirs of the American Mathematical Society 251 (1195), - . [Original]
- Chen, Changhao; Ojala, Tuomo; Rossi, Eino; Suomala, Ville (2017) Fractal percolation, porosity, and dimension. - Journal of Theoretical Probability 30 (4), 1471–1498 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Ojala, Tuomo; Suomala, Ville; Wu, Meng (2017) Random cutout sets with spatially inhomogeneous intensities. - Israel journal of mathematics 220 (2), 899-925 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Käenmäki, Antti; Rajala, Tapio; Suomala, Ville (2016) Local homogeneity and dimensions of measures. - Annali della scuola normale superiore di pisa-classe di scienze 16 (4), 1315-1351 . [Original]
- Shmerkin, Pablo; Suomala, Ville (2015) Sets which are not tube null and intersection properties of random measures. - Journal of the London Mathematical Society: Second series 91, 405-422, Part 2 . [Original]
- Marianna Csörnyei; Ville Suomala (2012) On Cantor sets and doubling measures. - Journal of mathematical analysis and applications 393 (2), 680-691