My research interest is understanding different parts of the identity of residents of early modern northern Finland, the social structure and the region’s connections to the capital, Stockholm, and other parts of Europe. My research material mostly consists of burial clothes, textiles and accessories. It is apparent that the different parts of identity, such as gender, ethnicity, religion and age, played a role when the burial clothes were being selected for the departed. My research aims to understand the attitude of the early modern people of northern Finland towards death and the manner in which it is reflected in modern-day Finland. I’m particularly interested in thoughts associated with the death of children, since the infant mortality rate was very high at the time.
I’m also interested in understanding childhood in archaeological materials and the research of burial clothes in a broader sense. I have participated in excavations by the University of Oulu and Soprintendenza Speciale per i Beni Archeologici di Roma in Crustumerium, close to Rome. We found a cluster of children’s tombs when studying a road. The studies are currently at the publication stage. My doctoral thesis in 2010 was titled "Textile-making in central Tyrrhenian Italy from the final Bronze Age to the Republican period".
I’m also interested in the relationship between archaeology and the general public, as well as the means available to popularise archaeology with the help of art. I have participated in a photography exhibition with photos of my research material.
- Sanna Lipkin & Tiina Kuokkanen: Man buried in his everyday clothes – dress and social status in the early modern Oulu. Focus on Archaeological Textiles. Monographs of the Archaeological Society of Finland 3. www.sarks.fi/masf/masf_3/MASF3_03_Lipkin_Kuokkanen.pdf, 2014.
- Sanna Lipkin: The belt in prehistoric central Tyrrhenian Italy. Sounds Like Theory. Proceedings of the XII NTAG. Monographs of the Archaeological Society of Finland 2. www.sarks.fi/masf/masf_2/SLT_03_Lipkin.pdf, 2014.
- Eero Jarva, Sanna Lipponen, Antti Kuusisto, Juha Tuppi & Anna-Kaisa Puputti: Crustumerium, Ricerche dell’Università di Oulu nell’area della Trincea viaria urbana, Bullettino della Commissione Archeologica Comunale di Roma 113 (2012), 2014.
- Sanna Lipkin, Krista Vajanto, Titta Kallio-Seppä, Tiina Kuokkanen, Sirpa Niinimäki, Tiina Väre and Maarten van Bommel: Funeral dress and textiles in 17th and 19th century burials in Ostrobothnia, Finland. K. Grömer (ed.) Proceeding of the XII NESAT Conference at Hallstatt, 2014. In press.
- Sanna Lipkin: Textile Making in Central Tyrrhenian Italy – Questions Related to Age, Rank and Status. M. Gleba & J. Pásztókai-Szeőke (eds) Making Textiles in Pre-Roman and Roman Times People, Places, Identities: 19–29. Ancient Textiles Series Vol. 13, Oxbow Books, Oxford and Oakville, 2013.
- Eero Jarva, Antti Kuusisto, Sanna Lipkin, Markus Suuronen & Juha Tuppi. ”Excavations in the road trench area of Crustumerium and future research prospects.” Crustumerium. Riserche internazionali in un centro latino, edited by P.A.J Attema, F. di Gennaro and E. Jarva, 35–44. Groningen, University of Groningen /Groningen Institute of Archaeology & Barkhuis, 2013.
- Sanna Lipkin: Textile-making and religion in central Tyrrhenian Italy, Archaeology of social relations - Ten case studies by Finnish archaeologists: 119–132. Eds. Tiina Äikäs, Sanna Lipkin, Anna-Kaisa Salmi. Studia humaniora ouluensia 12. 2012.
- Sanna Lipkin: La produzione dei tessuti e la vita delle donne. Forma Urbis 5/2012, Tascabile, 25 pages. (Supplement)
- Sanna Lipkin: Textile-making in central Tyrrhenian Italy from the final Bronze Age to the Republican period, BAR International Series, BAR 2369, 2012.
- Sanna Lipkin: Taidearkeologiaa – näkökulmia tieteen ja taiteen yhteistyöhön. Muinaistutkija 4/2012: 50–54.
- Salmi, Anna-Kaisa, Äikäs, Tiina & Lipkin, Sanna: “Animating rituals at Sámi sacred sites in Northern Finland” Journal of Social Archaeology 11.2: 212–235. 2011
- Sanna Lipkin: Sukkasillaan, jalat lämpiminä hautaan. Muinaistutkija 3/2011: 49–59.
- Historiaa kaupungin alla. Kaupunkiarkeologisia tutkimuksia Oulussa. (Toim. Titta Kallio & Sanna Lipponen) Pohjois-Pohjanmaan museon julkaisuja 16, 2005.
Last updated: 21.9.2017