When should you contact?
You can make an appointment for our Study Psychologists when:
- you are enrolled as a student in the University of Oulu or UniOGS
- when other student advising has not proved to be helpful.
You can contact the Study Psychologist about things that have to do with learning and study related problems such as:
- Feeling stuck with studies, not progressing
- Study-related self-confidence
- Motivation issues
- Coping with stress and tension
- Returning to studies after a long break
- Other issues related to learning, such as exam or thesis anxiety, time management, learning disabilities, problems with writing processes
- In certain circumstances a student may apply for individual arrangements for study attainments and evaluation. You can find more information on the page Accessibility in studies
Book an appointment
Booking for appointments is closed. It opens again on January 9, 2023.
Note! Do you need a recommendation for individual study arrangements? Study psychologists organize open reception times on 14 December 2022, 11 January 2023 and 1 March 2023 from 14:00 to 15:30 at the Linnanmaa campus in Virransilta (KK238). Bring with you an printed expert opinion that entitles you to receive a recommendation. Also familiarize yourself in advance with the criteria by which a recommendation can be drawn up, as well as the typical recommendations described on the website. Please note that the visit time is short and only a recommendation is made during it.
Information about sessions
The objectives for the sessions will be agreed upon during the first session. They could be some of the following: to clarify the student's overall life situation, to develop studying skills, to increase student’s activity or to discover new patterns for thinking and acting.
Meetings are confidential and last approximately 45 minutes. There are usually 1-5 sessions per student. Please do cancellation latest 24 hours before the scheduled appointment so we can help other students in the waiting list. Uncancelled appointments will be counted in the 5 time maximum. The service is free of charge for the University of Oulu students.
Study Psychologists: Pauliina Junnikkala, Saara Kuusisto, Kiia Kilponen, Sara Tiainen and Jussi Tukiainen.
For other than study related issues: please contact the Finnish Student Health Services (FSHS) for an appointment.
Acute help & crise situations:
- University Chaplain
- Oulun kriisikeskus (Oulu Crisis Center) offers short term counselling and guidance in crises for anyone living or staying in Finland. Call 044 3690 500 (Mon-Fri 9am-2pm).
- Oulu Mental health service
- Oulu University Hospital: for acute psychiatric help call 08 315 2655.
- You can contact Oulu social services if you have a sudden crisis.
- Crisis Helpline. Discuss your thoughts, feelings and situation in life with a worker or a trained volunteer over the phone.
The Wellbeing Through Counselling - project
The university supports wellbeing and we are involved!
The Wellbeing Through Counselling (Ohjauksella hyvinvointia, OHJY) project promotes the well-being and community of university students and provides staff with tools to support students.
11 universities, student unions and organizations all over Finland are on board, and more than 36,200 students are studying at the universities involved in the project! The project, managed by Diakonia University of Applied Sciences, receives funding from the Ministry of Education and Culture. The University of Oulu is also involved in the project: our project focuses on increasing the study psychology resource and developing the support services provided by study psychologists. There are three key themes in the support system development:
- Back to Campus - We especially support the sense of community and study attachment of first and second year students.
- Strengthening learning ability through community and online means - We plan and offer new study psychologist services by implementing various workshops, groups, online courses and support materials that are easily accessible online.
- Strengthening staff well-being skills - We train staff on the themes of students' learning ability and well-being and provide tools to support them.
With the project, we have been able to add a new study psychologist to our team for a year. You can already find a lot of project-enabled material and services on our website, which we offer in addition to individual guidance.
Follow the project in social media with the tags #korkeakoulutukee and #universitysupports and online at korkeakoulutukee.fi and put student well-being first!