I am working as a Professor in nursing science at the University of Oulu, Research Unit of Health Sciences and Technology. I lead a research group of Well-being for Individuals and Families in Nursing (IndFamilyNurs) that aims to develop evidence-based consistent practices. My in-depth expertise in within the research area of promoting family-centered care, pain assessment and pain management focused on non-pharmacological interventions, and how the environment affects the well-being of individuals emphasizing the diversity of northern nature. Of particular interest to me are pediatric patients and the most vulnerable groups, such as neonates requiring intensive care and their parents.
As a professor, my purpose is to produce high-quality and socially impactful scientific research that focuses especially on clinical nursing research. This includes dialogue with users and researchers, as well as collaboration with different disciplines at national and international level.
- Promoting family- and people-centered care in nursing
- Impact of environment on well-being emphasizing the special features of northern nature
- Developing and testing multimodal assessment tools
- Evaluating the effectiveness of non-pharmacological interventions on pain and its related emotions (e.g. fear, stress, anxiety)
- Increasing the competence of staff through training interventions in pediatric nursing