Geopolymers and water treatment technology
Assistant Professor Tero Luukkonen has 10+ years experience from R&D and project management within small companies and academia. His research interests are related to high-value utilization of inorganic industrial side streams: for example, using geopolymers and alkali-activated materials (AAMs) in environmental applications. Specific research topics include:
- Preparation and modification methods for geopolymers and AAMs
- Characterization and chemistry of geopolymers and AAMs
- Water and wastewater treatment applications (e.g., adsorbents/ion-exchangers, catalysts, filter materials)
In addition, Dr. Luukkonen has studied alkali-activated binders for construction and organic peracids in wastewater treatment.
- Alkali-activated materials
- Water and wastewater treatment