The function of the Erasmus+ program is to enhance student's intercultural skills and therefore internships in student's country of origin are not recommended. If the internship takes place in the student's home country, the multicultural aspect of the training has to be met. The priority in grants is given to the internships not planned in the applicant's country of origin.
Internship can take place in the following countries: European Union member states (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom), EEA/EFTA counties (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein), the Republic of Northern Macedonia, Serbia and Turkey. Switzerland is not a member in Erasmus+ program; please ask other funding possibilities from the International Mobility Services.
- internship must take place from 1st of August, 2020 to 30th of September, 2021,
- program is for degree and postgraduate degree students enrolled present at the University of Oulu during the whole internship period,
- training period can range from two to 12 months (2 months = 60 days), working hours at least 30 per week
- the training must be included in the studies,
- Erasmus+ grant is not allowed: EU organisations, organisations that coordinate EU programmes (e.g. LLP national agencies)*,
- student has to return the training certificate and complete all the required reporting,
- the student will not receive any other financial support for the internship from the University of Oulu or any other instances,
- the student has not previously completed a training period outside Finland supported by the University of Oulu and
- the length of the internship follows 12 months per level –principle.
* Organisations representing the student's home country (e.g. cultural and scientific institutes, regional offices, schools, export centres) are acceptable only if the work placement includes multicultural components. The multicultural aspects of the placement must be noted in the Learning Agreement for Traineeships.
12 months per level -principle
Student can participate in Erasmus+ student exchange and work placement up to maximum of 12 months in each study level (bachelor’s / master’s / doctoral). For example, if a student has earlier been in 5 months Erasmus study exchange during the master studies, student can join Erasmus + program for more7 months (12-5= 7).
If the student has participated in Erasmus before the academic year 2019-2020, the previous Erasmus periods are taken into account when granting of new Erasmus+ places.
Funding for Erasmus+ internship can be awarded for the maximum length of 12 months. Internship period may last longer, but the grant maximum is 12 months. The application round for the funding is continuous.
Funding for the Erasmus+ internship consists of three parts:
- Erasmus grant (funded by the European Union)
- Supplementary grant to the students with children.
Erasmus+ grant is based on the duration of the internship as follows:
- 620€ per month (app.20,5€ per day) in country category 1: Denmark, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden and United Kingdom;
- 570€ per month (19 € per day) in country category 2: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Croatia, the Republic of Northern Macedonia and Turkey;
- Erasmus+ grant to students with children:
- 670€ per month in country category 1
- 620€ per month in country category 2
The Erasmus grant is paid in two parts. First part (80%) is paid before the actual training time and the second part (20% ) after the training is completed as planned and all the required reporting is done. The University grant is paid once the internship has started.
Students with disabilities can apply for additional funding to cover the costs of their special needs.
The placement must be agreed on before applying for the Erasmus+ grant.
Applications must be submitted in the university SoleMOVE mobility database well in advance before the actual internship. The enclosure required is the Learning Agreement for Traineeships which must be signed by the student, training organization and the representative of the University of Oulu. Before filling in the document, student is advised to contact the Erasmus+ internship contact person in his/her faculty to get more detailed instructions.
When the internship is accepted in SoleMOVE, student proceeds to apply the Erasmus grant and University grant in SoleGRANT.
After the internship the student has to give feedback and report the internship in SoleMOVE. Also the Traineeship Certificate and Transcript of Records (when the internship is credited) must be attached to SoleMOVE.
The OLS language assessment
The OLS (Online Linguistic Support) language assessment is mandatory for all Erasmus+ participants. The language is chosen based on the main language of the internship. OLS is available in German, English, Spanish, French, Italian and Dutch. The assessment is taken before of the mobility period — in order to monitor the progress in the language skills during the internship. After the training application is accepetd in SoleMOVE by all the parties, the student will receive an email from the university with a login and a password to access the OLS platform.
If you need more information, please contact your faculty's staff responsible for traineeships.