D.Sc.(Tech.) Jenni Ylä-Mella is a post-doctoral researcher in the Water, Energy and Environmental Engineering (WE3) research unit at the Faculty of Technology. She has 20 years’ experience in WEEE recovery, especially in legislative implementation and infrastructure development. Her current research focus is in circular economy with a special attention in dispersive use and dissipation of critical materials and increasing their recycling.
- Recovery of critical materials
- Resources management
- Circular economy
- Waste management and recovery infrastructure
- Electronic waste, WEEE
488505A Waste Management and Recycling
488203S Industrial Ecology
488402S Sustainable Development
488143S Environmental Impact Assessment
477013P Prosessi- ja ympäristötekniikan perusta
Tutor teacher 2018-2021
Professional and community activities
- Guest Editor in Special Issue "Municipal and Industrial Waste Management", Resources (MDPI), 2020-2021.
- Referee in various scientific journals (e.g. in Elsevier, Taylor & Francis, MDPI), 2014-
- Degree Programme Committee in Process and Environmental Engineering, University of Oulu. Member, 2020-
- Advisory Board of Climate Actions in Northern Ostrobothnia. Deputy member of the University of Oulu, 2020.
- Environmental Technology Development Programme, University of Oulu. Programme secretary, 2009-2013.
- Working group of Master’s Programme on Environmental Engineering, Barents Cross-Border University (BCBU). Member, 2009-2010.
- Study development groups (Pokki, Jopokki, Thule) at the University of Oulu. Student member, 2006-2015.
- Postdoctoral researcher, Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Group
- Hosseinian, Aida; Ylä-Mella, Jenni; Pongràzs, Eva (2021) Current Status of Circular Economy Research in Finland. - Resources 10 (5), 40 . [Original]
- Ylä-Mella, Jenni; Román, Elisabeth (2019) Waste electrical and electronic equipment management in Europe: Learning from best practices in Switzerland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Handbook (2nd Edition). Vannessa Goodship, Ab Stevels, Jaco Huisman. - Woodhead Publishing Series in Electronics and Optical Materials. Duxford, United Kingdom. 483-519, Chapter 18
- Ylä-Mella, Jenni; Pongrácz, Eva (2016) Drivers and constraints of critical materials recycling: The case of Indium. - Resources 5 (4), 34 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Ylä-Mella, Jenni (2015) Strengths and challenges in the Finnish waste electrical and electronic equipment recovery system : Consumers’ perceptions and participation. - Acta Universitatis Ouluensis. Series C, Technica 548. Oulu. Artikkeliväitöskirja. 112, . [Original]
- Ylä-Mella, Jenni; Keiski, Riitta L.; Pongrácz, Eva (2015) Electronic waste recovery in Finland : Consumers’ perceptions towards recycling and re-use of mobile phones. - Waste Management 45, 374-384 . [Original]
- Ylä-Mella, Jenni; Poikela, Kari; Lehtinen, Ulla; Tanskanen, Pia; Román, Elisabeth; Keiski, Riitta L; Pongrácz, Eva (2014) Overview of the WEEE Directive and its implementation in the Nordic countries: national realisations and best practices. - Journal of Waste Management 2014, 18, ID 457372 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Ylä-Mella, Jenni; Poikela, Kari; Lehtinen, Ulla; Keiski, Riitta L.; Pongrácz, Eva (2014) Implementation of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive in Finland : Evaluation of the collection network and challenges of the effective WEEE management. - Resources, conservation and recycling 86, 38-46 . [Original]
- Ylä-Mella, Jenni (2012) The impact of the WEEE and RoHS directives. Development of a WEEE Recovery Infrastructure in Finland. Lisensiaatintyö. 64, 73 s.
Aida Hosseinian: Phosphorus Recovery in the Context of Circular Economy (2019-2024)
Maiju Lahtinen (2021) Industrial symbioses in the Laanila industrial area (in Finnish)
Noora Karoliina Hietala (2018) The impact of the changes in the treatment process of construction and demolition waste and mixed waste on the operation of Kiertokaari Ltd (in Finnish)
Tuomas Rahja (2021) Organic solar cells (in Finnish)
Elle Niemistö (2021) Households' plastic waste collection and composion study in the Kiertokaari area (in Finnish)
Santeri Leppälä (2020) Supercalendered paper hardness profile control development (in Finnish)
Noora Pakanen (2020) Green Deal agreements in Finland (in Finnish)
Ville Kähkönen (2020) Development of cooling during a steel ladle masonry process (in Finnish)
Eero Martikainen (2020) EU Plastic Strategy - Opportunities and threats for Finnish industries (in Finnish)
Säde Mäkelä (2020) End-of-life textiles collection and treatment network in the Oulu region (in Finnish)
Venla Sirviö (2020) Extended producer responsibility in the Finnish waste management system (in Finnish)
Tuula Tasala-Lappalainen (2020) The cost analysis of sorting recoverable waste (in Finnish)
Venla Huilaja (2019) Circular economy package: Opportunities and challenges in Finland (in Finnish)
Maria Nyman (2019) Photovoltaic technologies and their recycling (in Finnish)
Anton Tapaila (2019) Feasibility and profitability assessment of the separate plastic waste collection at the SSAB EUROPE's plant in Hämeenlinna (in Finnish)
Markus Rytkönen (2019) From passive houses to smart buildings: expectations and technological demands (in Finnish)