The call for new Biocenter Oulu research projects for 2020 – 2023 was published in October 11th, 2018. The call was closed in January 14th, 2019. Twenty-eight researchers submitted their applications in time.
An independent international scientific evaluation panel appointed by the Rector of the University of Oulu evaluated the applications on the basis of criteria similar to those used by the Academy of Finland. These include the scientific quality and innovativeness of research plan, implementation of research, competence and expertise of the applicant and research team, and significance of research collaborations.
The evaluation panel analysed the applications and interviewed the applicants during a site visit in April 15th – 17th, 2019 and gave a written report with general recommendations, ranking of applications and written feedback to individual project applications.
On the basis of the recommendations given by the evaluation panel the Rector approved the following 14 research projects to the Biocenter Oulu Institute for a period of 2020– 2023:
(in alphabetical order)
- Mika Ala-Korpela and Johannes Kettunen: Extensive molecular profiling of systemic metabolism to understand and prevent cardiometabolic diseases
- Lauri Eklund and Vesa Kiviniemi: Neuro-ocular clearance pathways - Mechanisms and clinical applications
- Jukka Hakkola and Janne Hukkanen: Environmental xenosensor PXR as a disease mechanism and therapeutic target in metabolic diseases
- Simo Hosio and Denzil Ferreira: ICON: Interventions and Contextual Understanding for Low Back Pain Research
- Jouni J. K. Jaakkola and Maritta S. Jaakkola: Molecular and environmental basis for asthma in a changing climate
- Peppi Karppinen: Cellular oxygen sensors and other 2-oxoglutarate-dependent enzymes as novel treatment targets for diseases
- Risto Kerkelä and Juhani Junttila: Genetic causes and molecular mechanisms of myocardial fibrosis
- Thomas Kietzmann: Cellular Compartments and New Molecules Interacting in Hypoxia-Signaling and Associated Diseases
- Petri Kursula: Structural biology of the formation and disease of the multilayered myelin membrane
- Lari Lehtiö: Structure, Function and Inhibition of Human ADP-ribosyltransferases
- Johanna Myllyharju: Key enzyme regulators of the hypoxia response and collagen synthesis as therapeutic targets
- Katri Pylkäs and Robert Winqvist: Inherited breast cancer susceptibility: novel factors, cellular mechanisms and disease modelling
- Justus Reunanen: Secreted vesicles of the human intestinal microbiota in health and disease
- Gonghong Wei and Aki Manninen: Transcription factor cistromes decode prostate cancer risk loci
The selected projects will be targeted for strategic support in the form of doctoral student and postdoctoral researcher positions. The positions will be filled according to the University´s HR procedures.
Last updated: 21.5.2019