Thule Institute supports Arctic research and multidisciplinary collaboration of all the focus areas of the University of Oulu.
UArctic Thematic Networks and Research Liaison Office is hosted by the Thule Institute, which strengthens the Arctic activities and profile, by offering connections to important national and international bodies, networks and projects.
Thule Institute is coordinating the University of Oulu’s participation in the Arctic Five collaboration and the Arctic Researchers’ Network.
University of the Arctic (UArctic)
- UArctic is a cooperative, multidisciplinary network of universities, colleges, research institutes and other organizations working together in education, research and knowledge sharing in and about the Arctic.
- UArctic Thematic Networks and Research Liaison Office is hosted by the Thule Institute, which strengthens the Arctic activities and profile, by offering connections to important national and international bodies, networks and projects.
The Arctic Five
- The Arctic Five is a forum for collaboration of the five universities in the northern Fennoscandian region: University of Oulu, University of Lapland, Luleå University of Technology, UiT -The Arctic University of Norway, and Umeå University.
- Anastasia Emelyanova, Postdoctoral Researcher at the Thule Institute, was appointed as a Arctic5 Chair in Healthy Ageing and One Health for the period Jun 2022 – May 2024 (with possible extension for one more year)
- Thule Institute is coordinating the University of Oulu’s participation in the collaboration.
Arctic Researchers’ Network
- To highlight the importance of multidisciplinary topics and to promote cooperation between research groups University of Oulu has established a platform for scientists working on Arctic topics at the University of Oulu.
- The network hold the first Arctic Researchers’ Network -seminar “Border dynamics and resilience in the Arctic regions” in Oulu 29.–30.9.2022 (hybrid).
Arctic Strategy of the University of Oulu
EU and Nordic-funded projects in Thule Institute
The Arctic Health (AH) research group focuses on climate change and human health and well-being in the Arctic. The main theme in research is One health approach, including research ethics and community participation. Projects cover environmental health, climate change, demographic population changes, and Indigenous health and well-being.
Coordination and Networking Activities
Thule Institute cooperates and works with national and international research and higher education institutes, networks and organisations and in the Arctic Council working groups.
Thule Institute is an active partner in several Polar and Arctic networks. The most important ones are:
Partnering in national and international networks and organisations
- Thule Institute takes part in national and international research strategy work, aimed at focusing research into areas that are important and topical from the point of view of society.
The ArcticCube serves as the meeting point and as an information channel about the Arctic and northern issues related to the University of Oulu's students and staff. ArcticCube is located in the central lobby area of the Tellus, in the heart of the University of Oulu's Linnanmaa campus.
Events and workshops for staff and students will take place at the ArcticCube and the Tellus. Outside of pre-set events, ArcticCube is in free use for quiet work and meetings, and also various kinds of information and promotion materials about current arctic issues are available for those who visit the ArcticCube.
Paavo Havaksen tie 3
Ympäristötietotalo / Environmental Sciences Building
University of Oulu