Lecturer Prof. Davide Geneletti
Lecture Room IT112, Entrance MLinnanmaa, University of Oulu
Street address Paavo Havaksen tie 3, Oulu
Environmental decision-making involves the identification and comparison of different alternatives based on multiple objectives and criteria. This calls for a framework to integrate factual information on effects and impacts, with values and preferences of stakeholders. Multicriteria analysis (MCA) offers such a framework, and it is increasingly used in combination with GIS (spatial multicriteria analysis, SMCA).
This course provides the essential principles of MCA and SMCA applied to environmental decision-making, and covers the following topics:
- Basic concepts of decision theory and problem structuring
- The philosophy of (S)MCA for environmental decisions
- Methodological steps in MCA and SMCA (value function and weight assessment, criteria aggregation, sensitivity analysis, result presentation)
- Using Decision Support Systems (DSS) and GIS-based DSS
- Application examples in different domains.
The teaching method is based on theoretical lectures and hands-on exercises, using freely available software packages. The expected learning outcomes include:
- Understanding the advantages and limitations (S)MCA
- Familiarizing with different methods and techniques
- Acquiring skills in DSS and GIS-based DSS
- Understanding the role played by technical experts, stakeholders and decision-makers
- Gaining first-hand experience in real-life case studies
The participants are adviced to use their own laptops during the course.
Costs and registration
The course is free of charge, numer of participants is limited to 25 persons. Priority is given to doctoral students of ThuleDP/AURORA DP and VALUE DP.
Register in the course by sending an e-mail to riitta.kamula at oulu.fi latest by 11.1.2015
All participants will receive a certificate of participation.
Participants interested to obtain 3 ECTS will have to pass a short examination.
- AURORA DP - Doctoral Programme in Environment, Society and Technology in the North
- VALUE DP - Doctoral Program in Integrated Catchment and Water Resources Management
Last updated: 13.1.2015