The research group of Lauri Eklund works on endothelial cell and extracellular matrix biology in basic and translational research. He has addressed vascular morphogenesis and identified new mechanisms for endothelial cell extracellular matrix and cell-cell interplay to control vascular integrity, and disease mechanisms causing vascular anomalies.
- Ph.D in Medical Biochemistry, Docent in Cell and Molecular Biology and Professor in Molecular Biochemistry.
- Principal investigator and research group leader in the ECM and Hypoxia Research Unit, Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, University of Oulu.
- Biocenter Oulu spearhead project leader together with Professor Vesa Kiviniemi.
- Vascular and endothelial cell biology in basic and translational research
- Perivascular extracellular matrix
- Cell signaling in congenital vascular anomalies and in cancer
- Fluid drainage and metabolic waste clearance mechanisms in the central nervous system
- Director of Biocenter Oulu (BCO) infrastructures and member of the board of Biocenter Finland
- The scientific head of the light microscopy core facility at BCO and of Oulu Node site for Euro-BioImaging (EuBI) ERIC.
Education and training
- Academy of Finland postdoctoral researcher
- Academy of Finland Research Fellow
- EMBO Long-Term Fellowship for post-doctoral research
- Post-doctoral training, Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School Boston, MA, USA.
- Laboratory training in Max Planck Institute, Martinsried, Germany.
Research consortia, RI networks and recent funding
- The Academy of Finland Center of Excellence in Cell-ECM Research (2012-2017)
- Health from Science Academy Program, OPEN consortium (2018-2022)
- H2020-MSCA-ITN V.A. Cure PhD training program (2018-2022)
- H2020-MSCA-COFUND I4Future PhD training program (2017-2020)
- Biocenter Finland BioImaging
- EU funding (Grant agreement IDs): H2020-MSCA-ITN (814316) and COFUND (713606) funding for PhD training
- Academy of Finland funding (AF grant numbers): project (310986), program (314501, 335722) and research infrastructure funding (305285, 328046 )
- Finnish Foundations: Sigrid Jusélius Foundation