Our joint space trip onboard Spaceship Planet Earth - Researchers’ Night at Sodankylä
Please, join us as an active space traveller at the Sodankylä Space Campus in main building Polaria on Friday 28 September 2018 at 18-21 o’clock, in order to hear and see how our joint space travel onboard Spacehip Planet Earth is going and how our spaceship is doing.
The public lectures will describe to you all the essential facts about the most beautiful color show on our space travel, the active Northern Lights. You will see beautiful images and videos, and of course you may ask the lecturer the most puzzling questions in your mind. For example, what actually do we hear from the near-Earth space, if we do hear anything at all? And of course, how do we study both our travel and spaceship at the Sodankylä Space Campus.
- There are more important questions. Did you know that Northern Lights tell to a possible outer space observer that planet Earth is supporting life? What about exoplanets, what if we would see similar Northen Lights there? And we are the observers...
- Northern Lights are Nature’s most beautiful color show, but you only have an ordinary pocket camera. You can photograph Northern Lights with it, too. Learn during the Researchers’ Night how that is doable.
- Sodankylä Space Campus has an own satellite receiver station, which also can command the satellites. Why is this station here?
- Finland moved itself to the space era by launching the first own satellite into space last year. What happens next?
- And what on all Earth is the Lappi satellite, when will it be launched?
The program is meant to be easily understandable, directed for the general public, for small children we will organise a separate program (in Finnish language) and for english speaking audience we will organise parallel own program, too.
Public lectures in the lecture hall of main building Polaria (1st floor) in Finnish and at the same time in English (2nd floor).
18:00-18:30 Sodankylä Space Campus, Introduction (in English)
18:30-19:00 Our Joint Space Trip onboard Spaceship Planet Earth (Children's program, in Finnish)
18:30-19:00 Recent Research Highlights at Sodankylä Space Campus (for adults, in English)
19:00-19:30 The Short Story of the Northern Lights (in English)
19:30-20:00 Refreshments: Space Cake, coffee, tee and juice, Cafe of the main building Polaria
20:00-21:00 Public Lecture: Time and Space (note, in Finnish)
-how do we see - and how does the camera see?
-year of the light at Sodankylä
-photographing the aurora
-demonstration: how do I use an ordinary camera for photographing the Northern Lights
The event is free of charge.
The Researchers' Night -project is funded by European Commission, Marie Sklodowska Curie actions, contract 817987.
Last updated: 12.9.2018