Our admissions team will help you with your questions!
Intercultural Teacher Education
Intercultural Teacher Education, Degree Programme in Teaching and Education, Bachelor and Master of Arts (Education) (3y + 2y)
- A unique teacher education programme in Finland with a focus on education, globalisation, diversity, ethics, sustainability and social justice
- The programme includes a multicultural study or work period in an educational institution or a project abroad
- Graduates will be qualified as primary teachers in Finland
- Shanghai Ranking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020: # 76–100 Education
The Intercultural Teacher Education programme (ITE ) is unique in Finland as it is the only teacher education programme in English with a focus on education, globalisation, diversity, ethics, sustainability and social justice. The degree is oriented towards primary teacher education, so the programme focuses on the specific issues related to the teaching and education of pupils studying in grades 0-6 in basic education. The programme also provides competences for international educational tasks.
The Finnish education system is world-famous and the ITE programme is well-established, having been founded in 1994.
"The programme content is built on cutting edge research and diverse teaching and learning methods and also considers the diversity of individual learners."
Theory and practice go hand in hand in the programme and latest developments, such as the enormous leap in online teaching due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, are reflected in the programme.
Studies include a compulsory three-month study or work period in an educational institution or a project abroad.
- orientation, language and communication studies
- major studies in education
- multidisciplinary studies in subjects taught in basic education
- pedagogical studies
The Master’s degree together with the Bachelor’s degree qualifies the student as a primary teacher in Finland either in a school with Finnish as a language of tuition or in an international school where the language of tuition is English. The graduates can also find employment in various national and international expert tasks in the field of education and teaching.
Possible professions and duties after the degree:
- primary teacher
- project leader
- education planner
- education expert.