The strength of spatial analysis and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is in their ability to reveal and simplify complex and extensive phenomena to understandable and manageable forms. My GIS based research covers the fields of geoinformatics, regional science, population and economic geographies, and transport geography. The analytical basis of my work is in applying and developing GIS methods for exploring, planning and optimising processes and structures in geographic context. My GIS analytical experience consists of four main fields: 1) network based accessibility analyses and method development in this field, 2) spatial-statistical/geo-spatial big data and modelling 3) map production 4) large GIS computations and 5) Mixed use of geo-spatial and qualitative approaches, even more powerful composition is formed to tackle problems in dynamic society.
Research Director of Regional Excellence (REx) research team having yearly over 600 000 € annual project portfolio (10+ projects) funded by the H2020, Interreg Europe, Interreg Baltic Sea Region, Kone Foundation, European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), Regional State Administrative Agency AVI.
Most important projects:
- Building Regional Resilience to Industrial Structural Change (FOUNDATION), funding by Interreg Europe, 197 500,00 € of total 1 860 900 € (2019-2023).
- Earth observation and Earth GNSS data acquisition and processing platform for safe, sustainable and cost-efficient mining operations. Funding by H2020-EU.3.5.3. 247 377 € of total 10 774 000 € (2020-2023)
- Empowering Underground Laboratories network usage (EUL), funding Interreg Baltic Sea Region, 172 000 € of total 791 000 €. (2021-2021)
- Global geographic accessibility to food resources: Exploring spatial mismatch between food production, consumption and transport system by using big and open source data, Kone foundation, 84000 € (2017-2021).
- PI of WP: Low-carbon business-ecosystem as a solution for the growth in rural regions (ARVO), funding by ERDF, 56 000 € of total 299 000 € (2020-2021).
- Baltic Sea Underground Innovation Network BSUIN funding Interreg Baltic Sea Region (2017-2020).
- Opportunities and effects of mobility and multi-locality (Alueellisen liikkuvuuden ja monipaikkaisuuden mahdollisuudet ja seuraukset), VN TEAS, Government’s analysis, assessment and research activities.
- Low carbon logistics in local social and health care services (SOLOGS), funding by ERDF.
- Improving the information base and optimising service solutions to support social welfare and health care reform (IMPRO), funding by the Strategic Research Council (SRC) / the Academy of Finland.
- Accessibility of sport facilities (Liikuntapaikkojen saavutettavuus indeksi) (LINDA), funding Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Quantification and valuation of ecosystem services to optimize sustainable re-use for low-productive drained peatlands, LIFEPeatLandUse, funding by EU Life+.
- Balancing Local Politics, Housing Preferences and Sustainability in the New Detached Housing Areas in the Rural-Urban Interaction Zones (BALANCE), funding by Academy of Finland.
- Healthy Support Services: Effective, user-centered and scalable support service models in long distance health care systems, funding by TEKES (i.e. Business Finland).
- TRACC - TRansport ACCessibility at regional/local scale and patterns in Europe, ERDF ESPON programme.
- Regional Excellence (REx)