My background is in Quaternary geology, glacial geology and applied surficial mineral exploration. At the moment, I'm holding a joint research professor' post with the Geological Survey of Finland and OMS.
Research questions and exploration challenges are focused particularly in the applied geochemical exploration issues and the development of geochemical exploration techniques in glaciated terrains and related environments. Particular interest is on advanced, low-impact geochemical exploration techniques that leave minor traces to the environment (such as weak leach techniques of upper soils) and are therefore suitable for sensitive, northern regions. Furthermore, research, teaching and the student projects concern the surficial exploration as a multi-methodological process, which includes good knowledge of geology, geophysic, geochemistry, mineralogy together with surficial geological factors. This is supported by field (on-site) and laboratory analysis techniques and data processing and analysis using, for example, statistical methods. Research are funded by many EU funded projects.
- Geochemical exploration
- Quaternary geology
- Applied geochemistry
- Heavy mineral research
- Research Unit in Geosciences
- Sarala, Pertti; Nykänen, Vesa (2017) Spatial analysis and modelling of the feedback of the glaciogenic geochemical dispersions – implication to mineral exploration. - Journal of african earth sciences 128, 61-71 . [Original]
- Sarala, Pertti (2018) INQUA Peribaltic Working Group Excursion and Meeting – active cooperation between Quaternary researchers in the Baltic Sea region. - Bulletin of the geological society of finland 90 (1-2), Part 2, 141-143 . [Original]
- Sarala, Pertti (2018) Bulletin of the Geological society of Finland. Special Issue: Late Pleistocene, last deglaciation and post-glacial processes in the centre of northern Fennoscandia. - Bulletin of the Geological Society of Finland 90:2. Helsinki, Suomen Geologinen Seura. [Original]
- Sarala, Pertti; Koskinen, Hanna (2018) Application of the portable X-Ray Diffraction (pXRD) analyser in surficial geological exploration. - Geologi 3, 58-68 . [Original]
- Taivalkoski, Anne; Sarala, Pertti; Lahaye, Yann; Lukkari, Sari; Sutherland, Dale (2019) Snow in mineral exploration - Examples and practices in glaciated terrain. - Journal of geochemical exploration 200, 1-12 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Lyså, Astrid; Benediktsson, ĺvar Örn; Emery, Andy; Gregoire, Lauren; Jennings, Anne; Morigi, Caterina; Müller, Juliane; O'Regan, Matt; Sarala, Pertti; Stokes, Chris; Szczuciński, Witold; Winsborrow, Monica (2019) The First International Conference on 'Processes and Palaeo-Environmental Changes in the Arctic: From Past to Present' (PalaeoArc). - Geologos 25 (2), 175-179 . [Original] [Self-archived]