Bachelor's in Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics
Students get exposed to a wide range of ICT related teaching and research available at the University of Oulu.
Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics
Bachelor of Science and Master of Science
Duration of studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics
- The programme is a steppingstone to a career in which you develop the future digital world. It provides not just theory but also practice through an internship, hands-on projects and practical course work.
- In your first year of studies, you will familiarise yourself with the essential methods and technologies in computer science, electrical engineering, and information processing science.
- You may specialise in different layers of digital technology - from design of devices to design of large information or communication systems.
- University of Oulu's research excellence in artificial intelligence, data analysis and communications technologies is indisputable.
- High rankings in several research areas - placed as 46. in Telecommunication Engineering, top 76-100 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, and top 151–200 in Computer Science according to Shanghai Ranking´s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021.
Choose your study path and apply accordingly
Digitalisation, Computing, and Electronics consist of three study paths – all having a unique study profile. This enables you to choose which angle you take to ICT studies. For making your choice easier, here are some tips for you. Please note that your study choice is locked when you leave your application and cannot be changed during your studies.
Are you interested in developing algorithms for artificial intelligence or cyber security? Do you have strong mathematical skills? If yes, apply for Computer Science and Engineering studies.
Are you interested in human-technology interaction? How should information systems, software, and services aid humans and organizations in their daily life and operations? How do humans perceive and collaborate with each other with the help of technology? If all this sounds intriguing to you, choose Information Processing Science studies.
Are you interested in designing advanced electronics using new materials or communications technology for the next generation? Do you have strong mathematical skills? If yes, apply for Electronics and Communications Engineering studies.
"The programme covers a wide range of all ICT-related teaching and research that's available in Oulu."
During the first study year, most courses are the same for all students. Topics such as programming, software engineering, electronics, and mathematics are included. In the second year, studies will start focusing on the study path chosen by you when applying for the programme.
The third and final year of the bachelor studies includes studies according to your study path as well as common studies including project work and bachelor’s thesis. All students will also undergo practical professional training in companies or research units.
Your master level studies will follow the study path you have completed during your bachelor’s studies.
Join a leading institution in ICT
The studies are based firmly on current research already at the bachelor level, and the emphasis is on hands-on learning from the very beginning. Active students will have a chance to see – and participate in – developing advanced technologies. The teaching faculty consists of Finnish and international professionals who represent the leading edge in various research areas, for example Professor Steven LaValle - watch him tell about virtual reality.
The University of Oulu is well-known and a respected institution where ground-breaking research is made across the board.
For example, the University of Oulu is the home of 6G Flagship, a comprehensive, multi-year research project into the wireless communication technologies of the future. The university has spun off many start-ups and established companies which have based their core expertise on research made at the university.
Core skills and competence
As a student this bachelor's programme, you will:
- Master the essential methods and technologies in computer science
- Learn to design electronics and communication engineering solutions which affect people's day-to-day lives globally
- Get the necessary skills for a digitalised world now and in the future
- See first-hand what it's like to work in a truly international industry through internships.
Programme structure and courses
A degree from the University of Oulu is regarded highly, which is evidenced by the continued and intense recruiting interest from the industry ie. corporations, small and medium-sized companies and start-ups.
This programme gives a student excellent theoretical tools and a valuable practical skillset to continue their education further and a possibility to enroll in the Master's Programmes that are available at the University of Oulu.
Practise your skills in technology development
Students will take on multidisciplinary project and can take advantage of cutting-edge technologies available at the campus, such as the 5G/6G Test Network, FabLab, SmartCampus and Printed Intelligence.