Bachelor's in Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics
Students get exposed to a wide range of ICT related teaching and research available at the University of Oulu.
Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics
Bachelor of Science and Master of Science
12 study places reserved for University Pathway Finland graduates, 4 per study option.
Duration of studies
Next application period
You may also enroll via University Pathway Finland.
Top reasons to study Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics
- The programme is a steppingstone to a career in which you develop the future digital world. It provides not just theory but also practice through an internship, hands-on projects, and practical course work.
- You may specialise in different layers of digital technology - from design of devices to design of large information or communication systems.
- According to your study choice, you will learn the essential methods and technologies in either computer science and engineering, electronics and communications engineering, or information processing science.
- The University of Oulu's research excellence in artificial intelligence, data analysis and communications technologies are indisputable.
- High rankings in several research areas - placed in top 51-75 in Telecommunication Engineering, top 76-100 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering and top 101–150 in Computer Science according to Shanghai Ranking´s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022.
Choose your study path and apply accordingly
Digitalisation, Computing, and Electronics consists of three study paths – each having a unique study profile. This enables you to choose which angle you take to ICT studies. For making your choice easier, here are some tips for you. Please note that your study choice is locked when you leave your application and can only be changed via transfer student application after the first year of studies.
Are you interested in developing algorithms for artificial intelligence or cyber security? Do you have strong mathematical skills? If yes, apply for Computer Science and Engineering studies.
Are you interested in human-technology interaction? How should information systems, software, and services aid humans and organizations in their daily life and operations? How do humans perceive and collaborate with each other with the help of technology? If all this sounds intriguing to you, choose Information Processing Science studies.
Are you interested in designing advanced electronics using new materials or communications technology for the next generation? Do you have strong mathematical skills? If yes, apply for Electronics and Communications Engineering studies.
"It is evident that this institution really cares about the students that come here to study and wants to make it a remarkable experience for them." - Niranjan, student
All three bachelor-level study years include studies according to your study path as well as common studies including a project work and bachelor’s thesis. All students will also undergo practical professional training in companies or research units.
Your master level studies will automatically follow the study path you have completed during your bachelor’s studies. If you so wish, you may also apply to other international Master's programmes available at the University of Oulu to which your previous study background fits.
Join a leading institution in ICT
The studies are based firmly on current research already at the bachelor level, and the emphasis is on hands-on learning from the very beginning. Active students will have a chance to see – and participate in – developing advanced technologies. The teaching faculty consists of Finnish and international professionals who represent the leading edge in various research areas, for example Professor Steven LaValle - watch him tell about virtual reality.
The University of Oulu is well-known and a respected institution where ground-breaking research is made across the board.
For example, the University of Oulu is the home of 6G Flagship, a comprehensive, multi-year research project into the wireless communication technologies of the future. The university has spun off many start-ups and established companies which have based their core expertise on research made at the university.
Core skills and competence
As a student of this bachelor's programme - and according to your study choice - you will:
- Master the essential methods and technologies in computer science
- Learn to design electronics and communications engineering solutions which affect people's day-to-day lives globally
- Get the necessary skills for a digitalised world now and in the future
- See first-hand what it's like to work in a truly international industry through internships.
Programme structure and courses
For detailed information about courses and the programme structure, take a look at the study guide of the degree option you have in mind:
Read about eligibility and admissions procedure for each degree option, detailed information available at Studyinfo.
A degree from the University of Oulu is regarded highly, which is evidenced by the continued and intense recruiting interest from the industry ie. corporations, small and medium-sized companies and start-ups.
This programme gives a student excellent theoretical tools and a valuable practical skillset to continue their education further and a possibility to apply to suitable Master's programmes available at the University of Oulu.
Practise your skills in technology development
Students will take on multidisciplinary project and can take advantage of cutting-edge technologies available at the campus, such as the 5G/6G Test Network, FabLab, SmartCampus and Printed Intelligence.
Read a student blog
Take me to Studyinfo application form
University Pathway Finland
The University Pathway Finland gives international students an excellent opportunity to prepare for degree studies in Finland while studying online from home. By successfully completing the pathway studies, you have the chance to enroll in Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics degree programme.
Studying already in a Finnish university?
If you are studying for a suitable bachelor's degree at a Finnish university and would like to change your place of study to the University of Oulu and your study right to one of the degree programmes of Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics, you can apply through transfer application taking place annually.