Bachelor's in Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics
Students get exposed to a wide range of ICT related teaching and research available at the University of Oulu.
Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics
Bachelor of Science and Master of Science
Duration of studies
Top reasons to study Digitalisation, Computing and Electronics
- The programme is a steppingstone to a career in which you develop the future digital world. It provides not just theory but also practice through an internship at the industry or academia.
- University of Oulu's research excellence in AI, data analysis and communications technologies is indisputable.
- High rankings in several research areas - placed as 46. in Telecommunication Engineering, top 76-100 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, and top 151–200 in Computer Science according to Shanghai Ranking´s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021.
- In your first year of studies, you will familiarise yourself with the essential methods and technologies in computer science, electrical engineering, and information processing science.
- You may specialise in different layers of digital technology - from design of devices to design of large information or communication systems.
This degree programme combines three degrees under one roof, and the student can choose which path to take. The student can specialise in:
- Information Processing Science,
- Computer Science and Engineering or
- Electronics and Communications Engineering.
Information Processing Science includes courses in programming, software and systems; Computer Science and Engineering includes studies in AI and applied computing and Electronics and Communications Engineering consists of studies in circuits, analog and digital techniques and communication.
"The programme covers a wide range of all ICT-related teaching and research that's available in Oulu."
The studies are based firmly on current research already at the bachelor level, and the emphasis is on hands-on learning from the very beginning. Active students will have a chance to see – and participate in – developing advanced technologies. The teaching faculty consists of Finnish and international professionals who represent the leading edge in various research areas, for example Professor Steven LaValle - watch him tell about virtual reality.
The University of Oulu is well-known and a respected institution where ground-breaking research is made across the board.
For example, the University of Oulu is the home of 6G Flagship, a comprehensive, multi-year research project into the wireless communication technologies of the future. The university has spun off many start-ups and established companies which have based their core expertise on research made at the university.
Core skills and competence
As a student this bachelor's programme, you will:
- Master the essential methods and technologies in computer science
- Learn to design electronics and communication engineering solutions which affect people's day-to-day lives globally
- Get the necessary skills for a digitalised world now and in the future
- See first-hand what it's like to work in a truly international industry through internships.
Programme structure and courses
A degree from the University of Oulu is regarded highly, which is evidenced by the continued and intense recruiting interest from the industry ie. corporations, small and medium-sized companies and start-ups.
This programme gives a student excellent theoretical tools and a valuable practical skillset to continue their education further and a possibility to enroll in the Master's Programmes that are available at the University of Oulu.
Practise your skills in technology development
Students will take on multidisciplinary project and can take advantage of cutting-edge technologies available at the campus, such as the 5G/6G Test Network, FabLab, SmartCampus and Printed Intelligence.