The 21st century brought unprecedented interest in the Arctic resources, turning the region from the world's unknown periphery into the center of global attention.
Within the next 50 years, local coastal communities, their habitual environment and traditional lifestyle will undergo severe changes, starting from climatic perturbations and ending with petroleum industrial intervention and increased shipping presence.
The APP4SEA project, financed by the Northern Periphery and Arctic Programme will contribute to environmental protection of the Arctic waters and saving the habitual lifestyle of the local communities. It will improve oil spill preparedness of local authorities and public awareness about potential oil tanker accidents at sea.
The risks of oil tanker accidents are getting higher. Dealing with oil spills in the Arctic marine environment has not been historically carried out before. The North lacks both infrastructure and adequate response technologies.
Northern and Arctic Periphery Programme area needs relevant public and organizational awareness improvements, expert insight sharing and modern software efficient modeling and supportive solutions in sustainable environmental management.
APP4SEA is a transnational project with the main goal to improve OSR preparedness in the NPA region by:
- Pooling competences across the region: partners in Scotland, Finland, Norway, and Iceland;
- Upskilling local authorities in charge of oil spill response at sea: transferring best practices and tools;
- Raising awareness in coastal communities: risks associated with increased marine traffic;
- Protecting natural and cultural heritage: marine bird species, livelihood of coastal communities.
APP4SEA will create an international pool of experts in order to:
- Share knowledge on oil behavior on sea, oil spill response methods, experience with tools and models;
- Introduce cutting edge technologies;
- Provide local authorities and general public with access to the knowledge bank;
The project will develop the following tools for SAR and OSR experts:
- OPEN ACCESS SMART MAP, showing:
- Search and rescue centers;
- Weather zones;
- Oil shipping routes;
- Protected natural areas;
- Infographics for education.
- PROFESSIONAL ACCESS products:
- Shared oil weathering database;
- Shared oil spill response model;
- Predictive decision making tool;
- BEST PRACTICE REPORTS with:
- OSR technological;
- OSR gaps in the NPA region;
- Recommendations to improve response infrastructure.
Northern Periphery and Arctic Programme (NPA), 5/2017 - 4/2020
- Norwegian Meteorological Institute;
- Norwegian Coastal Administration;
- University of Oulu;
- Finnish Environment Institute;
- University of Iceland;
- Scottish Natural Heritage;
- University of Highlands and Islands;
- Marine Scotland.
Last updated: 8.6.2017